Tomato Remoulade on Cornmeal fried Fish Steaks

I'm not sure where these culinary inspirations are coming from, but then again I am gleaning from some of the best things I've prepared in the past year or two and then tweeking things towards a West Indian touch.  This remoulade is similar to one I found in a book of New Orleans cooking I brought back from the The Big Easy last April.  That was a green tomato fried in cornmeal with a remoulade.

I also served this with a salad in the Jessamine Eden style where I put larger than bite sized pieces of Avocado, Tomato and Papaya on the plate and drizzled with the Worldwide winning Grenada Honey and lime juice.  One thing I realized about the large avocado chunks is that avocado is a subtle flavor and if the bite is too small or mixed with more powerful flavors it looses out.  So a large hunk, with the honey and lime was heavenly.  I also served the fish with a piece of toasted whole wheat baguette to sop up the sauce.  Sitting on the verandah with the strong ocean waves striking the shore and the sun baked my bare feet while eating this lunch was definitely a slice of the good life.  I wish the same for all readers of my blog.  Truly!


Cornmeal fried Fish Steaks with Tomato Remoulade

Remoulade:
Blend in food processor/blender til small chunks remain:

1/2 red onion bluntly chopped
1T fresh thyme
1/2 tsp fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 T olive oil
1/8 c. hot sauce
1 T tomato paste
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 T lemon jc. 



Fish Steaks:
Wash and dry four small fish steaks
Dredge in egg/milk wash
Roll in a mixture of:
1 c. fine ground corn meal
1/2 t curry powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 course ground pepper

Fry fish in med high heated oil ( I used coconut oil) until golden on all sides; about 8 minutes but depends on thickness of steak.  

Place fried fish on plate, pour 1/4 c. of remoulade over and serve immediately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With Love from W.I. To WI

JoY in Joyland

Provence France Oct 2019